The first and foremost step of receiving compensation mesothelioma for someone who’s diagnosed with this disease is filing a mesothelioma claim. If you or your family member has been diagnosed with this deadly disease, which is related to the asbestos, you could be eligible to receive compensation mesothelioma that can assist you in covering medical expenses and your lost income due to this disease. You should definitely educate yourself about the ins and outs of it so that you could seamlessly proceed with filing a claim. Continue reading to find out all the important details of Mesothelioma claims.
The process of filing a claim for Asbestos-related conditions
Asbestos is a group of six natural fibrous minerals that have high standards of heat and fire resistance. Several industries use it which include but not limited to manufacturing, chemical, construction, and many other industries. Asbestos is a hazardous substance which is a root cause for several diseases including Mesothelioma and Asbestosis. Mesothelioma is a dangerous disease. Mesothelioma survival rates are not really high unless superior quality medical treatment is administered. Claims are based upon a few important sets of information.
- The duration period of your exposure to Asbestos.
- The method of your exposure to Asbestos.
- The way Asbestos has affected your life and health.
Sometimes it could get quite challenging for you to gather and provide all the facts about your exposure to Asbestos, as the time period of Asbestos exposure usually is long. In situations, it could become complicated for you to establish all the facts about your exposure. Asbestos exposure doesn’t necessarily have to be the first hand one since you could easily be exposed to this dangerous substance through indirect ways such as asbestos-based products, family member’s clothing or any other similar way.
If you don’t really are aware of your Asbestos exposure, there’s nothing to worry about your situation as there’s a way for you to find the cause of your asbestos exposure. The best way to deal with this situation is simply to consult a reputed lawyer texas and seek their help. Usually, the mesothelioma attorneys California are well knowledgeable about such situations. Your lawyer will ask you several questions about your work history, your residential information, and other related details to investigate and eventually identify the root cause of your Asbestos exposure.
Mesothelioma Claim Deadlines
The duration of the time period that you have to proceed with filing a claim is completely dependent on two major factors which are the state you live in and the type of your claim.
Each and every state of the country has its independent and separate laws that dictate the claim deadline period, within which your mesothelioma claim should be filed. These laws are known as the Statutes of Limitations, which you should be familiar with. Some states may offer you as short as one year, whereas some other states offer you as long as six years for you to file your claim.
The second factor that determines the deadline for your claim is the type of your claim. The two primary types of mesothelioma claims are Wrongful Death Claims and Personal Injury Claims. Each state has its own set of regulations that determine the time period for these two types of claims.
The two categories of Mesothelioma Claims
Family members of the victims can also file the case on their behalf. The main difference between these two categories of mesothelioma claims whether the diagnosed person is alive or passed away. Here’s a detailed look at each Mesothelioma claim:
Personal Injury Claims:
You can simply file a personal injury claim on your own. Under this section of mesothelioma claim, you’re claiming for a compensation for:
- Medical expenses that happened during the mesothelioma diagnosis, current treatment and for the future treatment as well.
- Lost income along with estimated future income.
- Pain, agony, and suffering experienced due to this deadly disease.
You can file a claim under personal injury claims section in any state where you’ve worked, lived, or served in the military.
Wrongful Death Claims:
Family members of the mesothelioma victim can claim compensation after he/she has passed away. Through the Wrongful Death Claims, the victim’s family members file for a mesothelioma suit to receive compensation.
- Amount of lost income due to the premature death of their beloved one.
- Medical costs that have occurred while diagnosing and treating the victim before passing away.
- Expenses incurred for the funeral.
Victim’s family can file claims on their behalf also. It’s better if you can consult a reputed mesothelioma attorney in Houston. Especially the one who has the experience and expertise in deal withing mesothelioma cases.
A worker can claim the money as a part of the benefit or workers’ compensation.The person will get the money once the case is completed.
- Asbestos Bankruptcy Trust Funds: Many companies in the country have established Trust funds for Asbestos related issues. The diagnosed victim can easily file a claim and receive compensation through the company’s Asbestos Trust Funds.
- Claims Against Corporations: A victim can claim compensation in case a company hasn’t raised a trust fund. However, a skilful and experienced mesothelioma lawyer California can help you by leaps and bounds in successfully settling the claim.
- Veterans’ Benefits: Military also has mesothelioma benefits. The military has established a system for those diagnosed with this disease. The victim can appeal for payment if diagnosed on duty. Military personnel can appeal to several other compensations likewise.